Understanding Gutenberg and What to Do About It
Named after Johannes Gutenberg, the father of the printing press, Gutenberg is the all new editor of WordPress. With the latest updates and enhanced features, Gutenberg will redefine the way content is created and developed on this dynamic and customizable, open-source platform. This newly introduced editor is based on the ‘Block system’, allowing a free hand to content creators, and saving them from HTML coding, and soon replace the current TinyMCE editor, making website development on WordPress a hassle-free experience.
Introducing content Blocks
One of the new and exclusive features of the Gutenberg Editor is the Block system which forms the base for content development in the new version of WordPress. This eliminates the need for the earlier WordPress editing toolbar and replaces it with blocks for an individual content element. Text, images, videos, action buttons etc. will all have a block dedicated to each of them. This helps users to tackle individual elements separately, thus standardizing the content. For ease of use, each of these blocks is made for the unrestricted content creation and integrate rich content in the easiest way.
Features of Gutenberg Editor
Besides the blocks, Gutenberg also comes with other advanced editing features that make it user-friendly and allows you to reimagine WordPress websites.
· It provides more space for creativity, so you can develop lengthy content in a unified manner.
· The current toolbar is replaced by a drop-down menu so you can easily switch between the visual and text editors.
· The content can be embedded easily within the visual editor, with an option for ‘Recent Blocks’ to easily access the edited blocks of content.
· The ‘Table of Content’ allows you to navigate through all the sections of the content at one go or jump to any particular section without leaving the editor page.
· A pop-up for ‘Word Count’ and the number of blocks helps you assess the length of the content on the go.
· A whole new array of font types, colors, typeface, and background to choose from and integrate more creativity in the content.
· The live HTML block allows you to see the changes on the site real-time, while the HTML Anchor Support lets you directly link any text/media to any part of the site while you are creating it.
Advantages of using Gutenberg Editor
The features of the new WordPress editor come with these key advantages:
· It provides a more focused experience of content creation, with more screen space and structured layout.
· The advanced plugins could be easily installed and run with the help of a Managed WordPress hosting solution for uninterrupted functioning of the site.
· The block system lets you create custom blocks and works in alignment with larger resolution screens and responsive sites.
With 15 years and 31% of the top website users to its credit, WordPress is undeniably the most popular platform among website owners and developers. Gutenberg will make content development much easier even for those not adept with coding, which makes WordPress a great platform for those starting out with their first website.